David Attenborough said that humans have “overrun the planet” and we now talk about a climate crisis so there is an urgency for all stakeholders to address sustainability very seriously. In the events industry, event sustainability is one of the fastest-growing trends, and for good reason.
As an event professional, you have a vital role to play in addressing some of the sustainability challenges we face as a planet. It may be something that some of your customers are already expecting. And it may not be long before delivering a fully certified sustainable event is a minimum requirement.
But when you already have a million things to manage, it can be hard to know where to even start.
- Analyse areas like travel, waste, food and beverage, energy, printed materials, venue
- Identify your biggest area of concern
- Integrate into culture
- Reduce, reuse, recycle
- Work with an independent professional company
- Share your efforts with partners
- Phase in your initiatives
- Educate staff and attendees
- Market your success
There is a huge opportunity for the events industry to embed and showcase sustainability so start now and meeting the sustainability challenges is a win-win for people, businesses and the planet.